Entrepreneur Club, Week 4 “The Hidden”
July 25, 2014 § Leave a comment
Our focus this week is what Ed Catmull of Pixar calls “The Hidden” — all those things we don’t know we don’t know:
- In the management context, particularly, it behooves us to ask ourselves constantly: How much are we able to see?
- we would inevitably be subject to those same delusions at Pixar unless we came to terms with our own limited ability to see.
- I resolved to bring as many hidden problems as possible to light, a process that would require what might seem like an uncommon commitment to self-assessment.
- the leaders of these companies were not attuned to the fact that there were problems they could not see. And because they weren’t aware of these blind spots, they assumed that the problems didn’t exist.
- If we accept that what we see and know is inevitably flawed, we must strive to find ways to heighten that awareness—to fill in the gaps
- making room in my head for the certainty that, like it or not, some problems will always be hidden from me has made me a better manager
- This universe of unknown stuff will intrude in our lives and activities, so we have no choice but to deal with it.
A theme also found in Scripture:
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
- Proverbs 28:26 Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe.
- Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?
- Matthew 13:14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: “‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
- John 9:41 Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.
Entrepreneurship is a terrifying challenge, and in some sense we must believe in ourselves and our vision of the world in order to avoid becoming paralyzed. But that very faith can blind us to not just hidden dangers, but also the hidden blessings God has in store for us.
Come join us as we share stories of God’s goodness amidst our weakness.