Pitch: Data is a Feature, not a Product
May 12, 2022 § 1 Comment
Communal Decision-Making Platforms and the End of the Modern Data Stack
TL:DR Businesses may start by developing a technical solution, but only succeed by integrating around a human problem. The same is true of the Modern Data Stack.
In this provocative talk Dr. Ernest N. Prabhakar, former Open Source Product Manager at Apple, argues that is time for our industry to reorganize itself around “decisions” rather than “data” as the atomic unit of value. He introduces not just a conceptual framework for making this transition, but a proof-of-concept toolchain (CQML) for re-integrating data technology around human decision-makers. He concludes by exploring how this shift may transform our understanding of democracy, corporations, and even what it means to be human.
- The Case for Consolidation (benn.substack)
- Hightouch Acquires Workbase
- The Coherency Manifesto: Towards Communal Data Platforms
- Data on Rails (presentation)
- Solving The Data App Imperative (video with Benn Stancil)
- Datocracy on Transforming Human Systems (YouTube channel)
- Two Ernest (podcast)
Other Potential Titles
- Rebundling Agency and the End of the Firm
- A Call for Cohesion
- A new Schema for the Modern Data Stack